Oct 1916: Messiah was organized. Pastor F.W. Hassenflug was installed on Nov 5th in the presence of only 7 people. First sermon preached on Nov 12.
Dec 14, 1916: Ladies Aid Society was formed with a membership of 11
Oct 12, 1917: Young People’s Society was formed. Services were held at West 206th Street and 10th Avenue
Spring 1918: Church moved to 163 Sherman Avenue
April 1918: Rev. H.L. Sprengeler served as temporary pastor due to the illness of Pastor Hassenflug
July 1918: Permanent call to Rev. H.L. Sprengeler. Installed Sept 8
Sept 1919: congregation met in store-front location (size: 9’ x 35’) at 4870 Broadway (near 204 St).
Oct 7 1920: Pastor Sprengeler moved to Gloversville, NY and Pastor Wismar and his associate Pastor W.H. Storm took charge of the congregation.
Fall 1921: Pastor Storm accepted call to Michigan. Pastor Wismar indicated to the Mission Board that he would not be able to serve at Messiah. Theological students, W.E. Bauer and R. Ergang, preached alternately on a temporary basis
Spring 1922: Pastor Frederick P. Wilhelm took charge of the mission church at the request of the Atlantic District.
Oct 15, 1922: Rented space at 190 Sherman Ave, (later renumbered 198).
Space was 15 x 61, rented for 1 year at $100.00 per month
Pastor Wilhelm became pastor of mission congregation in the same month. He lived in the rented quarters at 609West 204th Street.
May 22, 1924: Plot at 202 Sherman Avenue was purchased for $18,500.00
Jul 6, 1924: First outdoor service held at 8:30 P.M. –a tradition that lasted for 31 years until the construction of new building
June 6,1926: Groundbreaking ceremony for Messiah Church House
Sept 19, 1926: Cornerstone laying services
Feb 13, 1927: Dedication of Church House
June 22, 1935: Pastor Wilhelm died
Dec 1, 1935: Pastor Alfred Trinklein installed as pastor of Messiah.
Oct 13, 1940: New constitution of the congregation signed
Spring 1944: Beginning of talks with Saint Matthew about merger
Oct 1, 1945: Merger of Messiah and St Matthew congregations after two years of talks